Automation Specialist – Boston Based
Curiox Biosystems is an exciting and innovative Life Science technology company growing rapidly. Curiox manufactures and sells instruments, automation products, and disposables for cell and protein analysis. The major application of Curiox Laminar Wash™ systems is centrifuge-free sample preparation of cells for Flow Cytometry, Single Cell Genomics, and other emerging cell analysis applications. The Laminar Wash instruments of MINI, HT, and AUTO address unmet needs by enabling affordable, off-the-shelf automation of the current, labor-intensive cell analysis process. Furthermore, the products improve the overall data quality such as cell retention, consistency, and reproducibility. Curiox products are used by customers performing life science research, immunology, immunotherapy, drug discovery diagnostics, vaccine research, and cell therapy research and manufacturing.
“There’s this thought among scientists that the only way to prepare suspension cells for analysis is to use centrifugation. Curiox has invented a better way to prepare samples. One that’s good for cells is also good for scientists. We believe sample preparation can be affordable, have a good workflow, be less labor-intensive and reproducible. That’s why we’ve created Laminar Wash technology to help scientists prepare samples in a way that treats their cells gently so as not to introduce further variables into important experiments. If you’re ready to help scientists get better results and break them out of their entrenched ways of sample preparation, Curiox is the right place for you.”
Namyong Kim, PhD. Curiox CEO
- Curiox is seeking an Automation Specialist, based in the Boston area, to support and develop our Auto1000 Laminar Wash™ system to transfer manual sample preparation assays to an automated platform. Custom scripting, validation, and troubleshooting using Hamilton’s VENUS software will be a key component of this role.
- The role will involve some field work to support installations and modifications of our Auto1000 customers.
- This position is also responsible for the maintenance and service on our Auto1000 system in our Woburn office.
- Candidates are encouraged to apply who have the motivation, experience, and skills to work in a start-up culture and will lead Curiox’s rapid expansion to levels that exceed expectations.
- Analyze and create complex scripts/methods in support of high throughput automated sample preparation on a Hamilton Nimbus and/or other platforms
- Evaluate processes and develops strategies for high-quality and effective automation solutions
- Lead validation projects, providing technical oversight and review of results; conduct validation experiments when resource/scheduling considerations require
- Independently develop and validate scripts/methods
- Understand and conform to methods, and protocols applicable to assigned tasks
- Design and execute experiments with minimal supervision
- Maintain existing liquid handling workstations through preventative maintenance and occasional service visits
- Assist in implementing new scripts/methods through developmental testing
- Lead preparation and implementation of SOPs, quality systems and new equipment
- Support Sales and Application teams by providing technical expertise
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent and relevant formal academic / vocational qualification
- Minimum-5 years previous experience with programming in common liquid handling platforms: Hamilton, TECAN, ThermoFisher, etc.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the challenges and complexities of lab automation systems
- Knowledge of general cell biology, biochemistry, and/or related scientific technologies
- Ability to design and implement testing strategies for automation platforms
- Ability to troubleshoot and implement solutions for customer requests
- Self-motivated and willing to learn new skills, with a keen attention to detail
- Demonstrated strong work ethic and willingness to take initiative
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in an international team
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic, start-up environment, including flexibility with schedule and function
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide variety of audiences
- Demonstrated organizational skills; ability to handle multiple priorities.
- Technical proficiency in instrumentation and electronics
- Must have a valid Driver’s License and Passport.
- Expected trave is approximately 20%.
- Willing to occasionally work outside of typical work hours to render support to users in different time zones
- May require domestic and international travelling to render installation or technical support to internal users or customers
Please come join us and make a difference. Send your resume or inquiry by email to email@example.com. Please address your email “US43” in the subject. No agencies please. Due to the high volume of applications, only qualified candidates will be contacted.